Woo-hoo! Another smoothie recipe, and this one is SO great, because it’s so tasty, and guess what? There’s broccoli in there!!!
Oh my gosh! There’s a reason why your mom always told you to eat your broccoli growing up! All those awesome benefits! And what’s great is that if you’re not a fan of broccoli, then this smoothie is perfect for you. You get all the great benefits of broccoli without the taste! This smoothie is delicious!
BROCCOLI, STRAWBERRY, BANANA, NUT BUTTER SMOOTHIE
- 4-5 raw broccoli florets
- 1 frozen banana
- 6 frozen strawberries
- 6 ounces plain greek yogurt
- 1/4 tsp. alcohol free vanilla
- 1/2 Tbsp. nut butter of your choice (I used almond butter – it was AMAZING)
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup almond milk
- pinch of stevia (optional)
- 3 ice cubes (optional)
Put all the ingredients in the blender and blend until smooth. Transfer to a glass and serve.
YUM! Enjoy! 🙂
Today was grocery shopping day, so I had to make room in the fridge for all the new groceries (I LOVE Monday’s for this reason!). I had 4 heads of broccoli and some baby carrots that I needed to use up. For the baby carrots, I made my coconut carrot fries. For the broccoli, I went on Pinterest for some ideas, and I came across this pin:
It was like someone looked in my fridge and said, “hmmmm, what do we have to work with here”. Perfect! This is super simple, easy and SO SO healthy! With broccoli as the main ingredient, this soup provides a healthy punch of vitamins A, C, K, and B9 (folate), along with phytochemicals, fiber, sulfur, chromium, beta-caroten, calcium, zinc, magnesium and phosphorus, and many more. All of these excellent vitamins and minerals can supply the following health benefits:
- cancer prevention
- healthy skin
- healthy digestion
- heart health
- healthy eyes
- boosts immune system
- bone health
- lowers blood pressure
- helps with anemia
- great for pregnancy
The list goes on and on, and it’s obvious to see that broccoli can easily be termed as one of the healthiest foods out there. This soup provides a great way to get a lot of broccoli in your diet. That, along with the fact that it’s delicious makes this soup pretty much perfect!
The recipe from the pin is only for two servings, so I made a much bigger batch (I will have no problem heating this up and eating it again tomorrow – leftovers are SO easy – love them!)
SIMPLE BROCCOLI SOUP
- 4 heads broccoli (florets only)
- water to cook the broccoli
- sea salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup walnuts, plus a little more for garnishing
- 1-2 Tbsp. olive oil
- goat cheese
- Wash the broccoli and cut the florets from the stem while bringing a large pot of water to a boil. Add the broccoli to the pot of boiling water and cook till it just starts to get tender (5 minutes should do the job).
- Lift the broccoli into a food processor or blender using a slotted spoon. Add about 2 cups of the water you cooked the broccoli in (or start with less to be safe…if the soup is too thick, you can add water at anytime, but if it’s to thin, you’re stuck), 1/2 cup walnuts, and 1 Tbsp. olive oil. Blend until very smooth.
- Add desired amount of sea salt and pepper. Taste the soup and adjust water, sea salt, and pepper to desired taste and consistency.
- Serve the soup garnished with crumbled goat cheese and more walnut pieces.