Ya know, I haven’t had grapes is a very long time, and after making this salad, I’m seriously questioning why that is! Wow, those round little buggers are delicious, and they make for the perfect addition to this salad! Not only that, but they are packed with all kinds of nutrition!
Look at all those goodies! And all in a tiny lil grape! Okay, back to this salad.
This salad is so good, and it’s really simple, since it just involves putting all the ingredients on a plate, mixing, and eating. Um, dinner doesn’t get much easier than that!
ARUGULA GRAPE CHICKEN SALAD
Ingredients (makes 2 servings):
- 5-6 cups baby arugula
- 1 large chicken breast, grilled or baked and cut into bite size pieces
- 3-4 Tbsp. chopped red onion
- 1/2 ripe avocado, chopped
- 2 ounces crumbled soft goat cheese
- a whole bunch of red grapes (it’s up to you how much to put in there!), chopped in half
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- olive oil, for drizzling
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- sea salt
Toss together the arugula, chicken, red onion, avocado, goat cheese, grapes, and walnuts. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with lemon juice, and season with sea salt.
YUMMERS! Enjoy! 🙂
Oh! Oh! I’ve got another good one for you guys! How many of you like tuna salad? Well, would you like it even better without the high mercury content? Unfortunately, tuna contains high levels of mercury these days…too bad, because it does have some great health benefits. However, I’ve got a solution…SARDINES!!! Sardines have all the protein of tuna, all the omega-3’s, all the awesome health benefits, but with much less mercury!
You may be thinking “ew!”, but when you get boneless and skinless sardines in water and mash em up, they actually bare a great resemblance to tuna! I tested out this theory by subbing in sardines for tuna on this tuna salad mix that I made – it’s just as tasty, and much better for you! I made a few other substitutions, such as using greek yogurt in place of mayonnaise, making this salad super great for you! I also added apples, which isn’t always a normal ingredient in tuna salad, but wow! It lends itself perfectly to this dish! Plus, it adds the health benefits of apples to it!
Alright, a quick note before getting to the recipe. You can omit the arugula, and use this as a great sandwich filling, or as an excellent dip for crackers or the like. Okay, are you ready for the recipe? Here you go!
APPLE SARDINE SALAD
Ingredients – serves 2
- 1 apple, cored and chopped (I used honey crisp, but you can use any kind)
- 1 can sardines, boneless and skinless in water
- 1/2 avocado, peeled and chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 3 Tbsp. chopped red onion
- 2 Tbsp. chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup raisins (optional, but they go really well with this salad)
- 3/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- dash of sea salt
- 3-4 cups chopped arugula
1.) Split the arugula between two plates, and sprinkle with a bit of sea salt.
2.) Add all the other ingredients to a bowl, then stir to combine.
3.) Top the arugula with the salad, then mix to combine.
Super yummy, and packed with nutrition! Enjoy! 🙂
As promised, I am posting my recipe for this delicious Hawaiian salad with spicy pineapple dressing that I made to go along with my slow cooker pineapple chicken. They go SO well together, and both are extremely healthy and easy to make, though the meal presentation itself makes it look like it took much longer to put together than it does!
HAWAIIAN SALAD WITH SPICY PINEAPPLE DRESSING
For the salad:
- 4-6 cups baby springs
- 1 orange bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 3/4 cup fresh pineapple chunks
- 1/2 cup red onions, thinly sliced
Toss all the ingredients together in a bowl.
For the dressing:
- 3/4 cup fresh pineapple chunks smashed into small pieces
- 2 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. freshly squeezed orange juice
- 4 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. jalepeño, diced
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 2-3 Tbsp. olive oil
Delicious! Paired with the slow cooker pineapple chicken, this makes an excellent, healthy and tasty meal that you will LOVE! Enjoy! 🙂