Ready for me to step on my soapbox about why we should all be eating sardines again? Well, in case you missed the gazillion other times that I’ve mentioned it, sardines are an absolutely fabulous food, that we should all try to include in our diet. Why are they so great?
- They are a very small fish, so you get all the benefits of eating fish without so much mercury (sardines have the least amount of mercury of all the fish that we eat).
- Awesome source of vitamin D, B vitamins, selenium, and iron.
- Bring on the Omega-3 fatty acids – these guys are packed with them!
- Great for naturally reducing depression symptoms.
- Because of their selenium content, they encourage the body to increase endogenous glutathione, which is essential for detoxification.
Guys, I could go on and on! But if you won’t take my word for it, then here is a pin that links to a great site explaining these and more benefits of including sardines in your diet.
Of course, I’m going to give you a really great recipe that can help you get these guys into your diet. This sardine and egg breakfast dish is really tasty, and it is packed with health thanks to the eggs and sardines! It’s really quite easy to pull together too, which is great if, like me, you’re not much of a morning person. Let’s get to it!
SARDINE AND EGG BREAKFAST DISH
- 2 cans of sardines
- 2 sliced shallots
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 6 eggs
- Sea salt to taste
1.) Begin by preheating the oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit. Afterwards, bring together the sardines, the parsley, the shallot, and the minced garlic, and stir.
2.) Place this mixture at the bottom of a baking pan and put the pan in the oven for about six minutes.
3.) Remove the baking pan from the oven and break six eggs into the pan.
4.) Place the pan back in the oven and allow it to cook for an additional 7-10 minutes until the eggs are set, but the yolks are still runny.
5.) Remove the pan and allow it to sit for about five minutes, then serve.
Seriously, so yummy! This dish makes it a pleasure to add sardines to your diet! Enjoy! 🙂