So, I was looking around Pinterest to find a good dinner recipe, and I came across the following pin for a chicken, broccoli, and rice casserole.
Man, this looks good! However, it’s got ingredients that I don’t eat, so I gave it a major overhaul, to make it gluten free and super good for you! I didn’t stop there! I could have simply replaced the rice with brown rice, but I took it a step further and replaced the rice with cauliflower rice, making this casserole veggie-full and grain-free. Ya know what? It turned out great! This dish will definitely be making future appearances on our dinner table! Let’s get to the recipe!
CAULIFLOWER RICE BROCCOLI AND CHICKEN CASSEROLE
- 1.5 lbs of boneless and skinless chicken breast
- 2 Tbsp. Olive oil, divided
- 1 large cauliflower head
- 2 large heads of broccoli
- 2 tsp. sea salt, divided
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 3 cups shredded goats milk mozzarella cheese, divided
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In a 9 x 13 baking dish, cut the chicken breast in half, horizontally, coat with 1 Tbsp. of olive oil and season with 1/2 tsp. of sea salt (and pepper, if desired – I’m not a fan of pepper, but it would probably lend itself well to this dish). Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, then take out to cool for 10 minutes.
2. While the chicken is cooking and cooling, wash the cauliflower and cut into florets. Add the florets to a food processor and pulse until the cauliflower has a rice like consistency. Place the cauliflower rice in a large mixing bowl.
3. Wash the broccoli and chop into very small florets. Add the florets to the mixing bowl, stir to combine. Add 1 Tbsp. olive oil, 1 1/2 tsp. sea salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and 2 cups of shredded cheese to the bowl. Stir to combine.
4. Once the chicken has cooled a bit, leave it in the 9 x 13 casserole dish, and cut into bite size pieces. Add the mixture in the mixing bowl to the casserole dish and stir to combine.
5. Top with the remaining cup of cheese. Bake in the oven for 50 minutes at 400 degrees.
6. Remove from the oven, and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Use a spatula to transfer servings to a plate.
BOOM! So yummy and so good for you! You’ve got to give this stuff a try! Enjoy! 🙂