I remember, when I was little, my mom would make ants on a log for my sister and me – we LOVED that snack! I was reminded of this when I was browsing Pinterest and came across the following pin.
The traditional recipe calls for celery sticks topped with peanut butter and raisins. While feeling a bit nostalgic, I decided to make something similar to this for a snack. I changed the recipe using almond butter and blueberries instead of peanut butter and raisins. While peanut butter and raisins aren’t bad for you at all, almond butter and blueberries are better for you!
Using blueberries instead of raisins lowers the sugar by A LOT, and as far as almond butter vs. peanut butter goes, here are some facts explaining how almond butter is a bit better for you than peanut butter!
- Almond butter is higher in nutrients than peanut butter is. Almond butter has 26% more Vitamin E, 3% more Iron, and 7% more Calcium than peanut butter. It is also higher in magnesium, phosphorus, potassium and antioxidants.
- Almond butter has 50% more monounsaturated fat than the peanut butter
- Almond butter has about 25% less saturated fat than peanut butter
- Almonds are considered to be an alkaline food, where as peanuts are an acidic food. Consuming alkaline foods has many health benefits such as increased metabolism, boosts immune system, prevents illness, and increased energy. Consuming acidic foods, on the other hand, can be damaging and can cause a variety of illnesses and physical problems.
- Peanuts and peanut butter can contain a high amount of mold
As you can see, Almond butter is a bit healthier than peanut butter, but if you really prefer the taste of peanut butter, just make sure to get an all natural, organic peanut butter with nothing but peanuts as the ingredients. Peanut butter isn’t bad for you, almond butter is just a bit better.
The recipe for this is pretty self explanatory and easy! The ingredients are just
- almond butter
Simply wash your celery and cut it into sticks, then spread some almond butter on it, and top with blueberries! YUM!
A sweet treat that is incredibly good for you! Enjoy! 🙂