I made these Turkey Meatloaf Muffins for dinner the other night, and they were a big hit! Delicious, and packed with protein and nutrition, they make for a perfect meal! I got the idea for this recipe from the following pin.
I changed up everything about this recipe to make it much healthier, but the resulting muffins still taste AMAZING! I used ground turkey instead of ground beef, homemade italian tomato sauce instead of ketchup, quinoa instead of oats, and watercress and onion instead of frozen mixed veggies.
The main ingredient in these, Ground Turkey, is good for you for quite a few reasons! Some of these reasons are as follows.
- High in protien (about 24 grams of protein per serving) which helps in regulating blood sugar levels as well as insulin metabolism
- B complex vitamins promote healthy blood circulation and control cholesterol levels
- Selenium supports your immune system and protects your body against cell damage
- Vitamin B6 protects against heart disease
The benefits from the ground turkey along with the health benefits of the other healthy ingredients in this recipe make this an extremely healthy dinner…and did I mention it’s DELICIOUS? 🙂
TURKEY MEATLOAF MUFFINS
Ingredients: makes 12 muffins
- 1.5 lbs. ground turkey
- 3/4 cup cooked quinoa
- 3/4 cup homemade italian tomato sauce (you can also use store bought tomato sauce), plus some for topping
- 1 small red onion chopped
- 1 cup chopped watercress
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt (optional)
- 1/4 tsp. pepper (optional)
1.) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and prepare your tomato sauce.
2.) Use olive oil to oil a muffin pan.
3.) Add all the ingredients to a medium mixing bowl, and combine well.
4.) Press meatloaf mixture into muffin cups until filled
5.) Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
6.) Take muffins out of muffin pan. Top with tomato sauce if desired and serve.