I am continuing on my soup kick now that it is officially fall! This week, I went on Pinterest for some soup ideas, and saw this pin:
It takes you to a site with 5 different chicken soup recipes. When I saw this pin, I knew I wanted to make some of my good old classic chicken soup. My tried and true recipe is FULL of veggies and really good for you. Everyone has heard that chicken soup is good for you (especially when you are under the weather), but did you ever wonder why that is?
It is well known that chicken soup is great for you when you aren’t feeling well with a cold or the flu. Some basic reasons for this are as follows:
- Chicken soup is full of broth, which is a fluid. This is great when you are sick because you want to get plenty of fluids to help cleanse your system. Fluids help to flush pathogens (virus, bacteria, etc.) out of the body.
- Chicken soup is warm, and that warmth produces steam, and that steam can help to clear your sinuses. Not only does the steam help, but the warm fluids provided by the broth can help to “thin out” mucus allowing your sinuses to drain more easily and become unclogged.
- Chicken soup normally contains salt. Have you ever been told to gargle with warm salt water when you have a sore throat? Well, consuming a nice warm bowl of chicken soup essentially has the same effect and can soothe a painfully sore throat. It also is disinfecting as it removes bacteria in the throat, mouth and tonsils.
- Chicken soup has protein. The chicken in chicken soup is an excellent source of protein, and this helps to strengthen a weak feeling body when you are ill.
So, all of these show that chicken soup truly is helpful in relieving the symptoms of a cold or the flu, but chicken soup is also full of healthy advantages in general…especially when it is chalked full of veggies like my recipe is. The organic chicken in this recipe provides beneficial lean protein as well as vitamins, minerals, and amino acids. Each of the veggies have their own unique healthy and healing properties as well. We see that while chicken soup is excellent for you when you aren’t feeling the greatest, it’s actually fantastic for you all the time, not just when you are sick!
VEGGIE LOADED CHICKEN SOUP
- 1-2 Tbsp. olive oil
- Organic Chicken Breast (about a pound)
- 1 medium zucchini chopped
- 1 turnip chopped into cubes
- 1 red onion chopped
- 1-2 heads of broccoli chopped
- 3-4 stalks of celery chopped
- 2-3 large carrots chopped
- 1 Tbsp. grated fresh ginger
- 1-2 tsp. garlic powder
- sea salt and black pepper
1.) Fill a large pot with water, and bring to a boil. Add chicken and cook for about 40 minutes. Set the chicken aside to cool, and save the water you cooked the chicken in (set aside).
2.) In a large sauce pan, heat the olive oil, and add the onion. Cook till transparent.
3.) Add the ginger, and cook for a minute longer
4.) Add the zucchini, turnip, red onion, broccoli, celery, and carrots. Cook till the veggies begin to sweat (about 2-3 minutes)
5.) Add the water (broth) that you set aside in step 1, and the garlic powder. Add more water if needed. You want about 7 cups of broth/water total. Turn the heat up to high, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, and simmer till the veggies are a consistency that you prefer.
6.) While the soup is simmering, shred the chicken into bite size pieces.
7.)When the veggies are as you would like them, add the chicken pieces and cook for about a minute more.
8.) Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Easy, healthy, yummy (my favorite triple!) Enjoy! 🙂