The other day, I did a search on Pinterest for healthy foods, and of course, a lot of pins for kale came up!
I really like Kale, and there are a lot of different ways to prepare it and incorporate it into some really yummy recipes! This is great news, because kale is one of the healthiest foods you can put in your body. Some of it’s health benefits include the following.
- Weight management – One cup of kale has only 36 calories, and 0 grams of fat. It has 5 grams of fiber making it excellent for aiding in digestion and elimination.
- High in iron – Iron is essential for good health, such as the formation of hemoglobin and enzymes, transporting oxygen to various parts of the body, cell growth, proper liver function and more.
- High in vitamin K – Vitamin K can help protect against various cancers, and is necessary for a wide variety of bodily functions including normal bone health and blood clotting. Increased levels of vitamin K can help people suffering from Alzheimer’s disease as it promotes brain cells to be more resilient.
- Filled with powerful antioxidants – Antioxidants, such as carotenoids and flavonoids help protect against various cancers.
- Strongly anti-inflammatory – One cup of kale is filled with 10% of the RDA of omega-3 fatty acids, which help, fight against arthritis, asthma and autoimmune disorders.
- Cardiovascular support – kale can help lower cholesterol levels.
- High in vitamin A – Vitamin A is great for your vision, your skin, and it helps to prevent lung and oral cavity cancers.
- High in vitamin C – Vitamin C is excellent for your immune system, your metabolism and your hydration.
- High in calcium – calcium aids in preventing bone loss, preventing osteoporosis and maintaining a healthy metabolism.
- Aids in detoxification – Kale is filled with fiber and sulfur, both great for detoxifying your body and keeping your liver healthy.
This is just the tip of the iceberg, folks! There are many more health benefits. Kale is considered a super food for a reason!
I decided I would share my recipe for kale chips with you, because I have tried SO many different recipes, and for the longest time, every recipe I tried would either end up burnt or soggy. After some trial and error, I’ve finally found a perfect way to a perfect kale chip!
PERFECTLY PERFECT KALE CHIPS
- olive oil
- Sea salt
- dried herbs or spices of your choice – I usually just use a bit of garlic powder, but sometimes I add some dried basil or some rosemary, and once I did a bit of stevia and cinnamon out of curiosity – I was pleasantly surprised, Yum!
1.) Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2.) Wash Kale. Cut leaves off thick stems and tear into pieces. Let dry COMPLETELY (this is very important – when I make mine, I prepare the kale, then let it sit for about an hour to make sure it is completely dry).
3.) When kale is completely dry, place in a bowl, drizzle with a small amount of olive oil, sprinkle with a small amount of herbs and sea salt, and toss to coat evenly – it’s okay to use your hands to mix as well.
4.) Line a baking sheet with wax paper. Put kale on baking sheet distributed evenly.
5.) Now for the secret part! When your oven is completely heated to 425 degrees, place the baking sheet in the oven and then TURN THE OVEN OFF! Keep the kale in the oven for 17-20 minutes. Your chips will come out perfect!
6.) Transfer to a bowl and snack away!
Perfectly crisp and delicious – oh yeah, and it’s beyond healthy too! Enjoy! 🙂